Friday, February 08, 2008

Unhappy Valentine

I hate Valentine's Day. Valentine's Day is my least favorite holiday, it even lags behind Arbor Day and Flag Day, and that's because I could care less about those "holidays." And the thing is, I've always considered myself a romantic, but I guess several years of marriage will do that to a guy. But I've always felt this way about Valentine's Day. It must be all the hype surrounding this holiday that really gets me. It's like, "Here honey, he's bunch of flowers that will wilt and die in a few days time and you'll end up getting me to clean up all the dead leaves and flowers." Or, "Here's a box of chocolates for you dear. Just don't come complaining back to me in a few days saying how fat you feel." It's just a big waste in my opinion. And don't get me started on much they jack up the prices for a measely dozen roses! They cost at least twice as much another other day throughout the year.

I also have another reason why I feel a certain disdain for this "special" day: my wedding anniversary is a few days prior so I have to deal with the ramifications of having to endure both days in a week's time. I used to joke that no one would get any Christmas gifts from me because I would have save up the money to get my wife something for our anniversary, Valentine's Day, and her birthday because they all occur in the month of February.

No comments: