Thursday, February 21, 2008

Personal Political See-saw & Dream Ticket

I'm having the hardest time choosing between Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton for the March 4th Texas Primary. It's a toss up between hope and experience: Obama has brought hope and inspiration, while Clinton has been there before, so to speak. So it's a tough call.

I've been caught up in Obama's inspiring words and I want to send my vote his way, but his relative lack of experience bugs me just enough to let doubt creep into the room. But hearing him speak really moves me. He gives Bill Clinton, whom I've thought to be the best orator of my generation, a run for his money. Gees, he beat out Bill for the Spoken Word Grammy just recently!

On the other hand, I think Hillary Clinton has the best experience of all candidates, as she's lived in the White House as First Lady for 8 years. It's hard to beat that kind of experience. But she's such a polarizing figure on the political scene, and I think that has become a liability. Many Republicans have a tremendous hatred for her and see her as a divisive individual. So I guess it depends on if one seeks inspiration or experience. Unless....

...you talk about my Dream Ticket: Clinton/Obama.

First of all, having Obama on your ticket means that he'll bring in a serious amount of crossover voters, these so-called Obama-cans: Republicans voting for Obama. That's a big plus. Clinton has all that White House experience and hopefully a sense of knowing what not to do and how to do things the right way and not waste her chance at righting the ship that is America.

Having Obama as VP means that he'll be the "president" of the Senate. He'll more apt to create a sense of togetherness, a "uniter" if you will. No longer will the US have someone who's first inclination will be to look after the betterment of his political party, i.e., Dick Cheney, but finally someone who will have the interests of the American people in mind. Obama will serve as a gentle persuader to remind those across the aisle that all their work is the American people and not for political gains.

That would be something, wouldn't it: Hillary Clinton for President and Barack Obama as Vice President? It's possible, but it could work the other way around, but I don't think it'll be the same as the first option.

We'll see how things turn out after March 4th. Either way, it'll be very exciting whatever the outcome.

No comments: