Tuesday, September 17, 2013

16 de septiembre, Dia de "Meh"- A Tejano's opinion

I have never celebrated 16 de septiembre, Mexican Independence Day. Nor will I ever. Even having grown up in Texas with some Mexican roots, I do not feel any connection to many "Mexican" holidays like Cinco de mayo or Día de los Muertos. One could chalk it up to assimilation, or even apathy. If anything, these days, to my friends, were just another reason to party.

My Mexican connections are fairly strong but they have not translated into a definite relationship with the country that claims most of my heritage. I can count on one hand how many times I have visited México. First as a nine year old, where we visited my grandmother's family ranch and when my eyes first saw mountains. The second time happened many years later as a college student for an awesome class trip to northern México. Then a few years after that, for archival work back in a former life in academia, and had breakfast with the state archivist for Coahuila state. 

I have plenty of extended family in México, great aunts and uncles and their families from one branch of the family. The rest of my family either left México for Texas many generations ago or have been here from the get-go, such as my Dad's family, whose roots lie elsewhere. 

For many of us Tejanos, Chicanos, Pochos, Mexican-Americans, we have a hodge-podge of cultural legacies. Some of us, like myself, are fluent in Spanish. Others are not as lucky to have been reared with the language. I grew up in an era where you were not hit on the hand if you spoke Spanish in school and had to anglicize your name, like my Dad had to endure in each case.

Though many of us can trace their roots through México, we do not necessarily embrace much of that culture. We will never forget certain aspects like menudo, tacos de pastor, piñatas etc., but we will forget the multifaceted reasons (many not so smart) México sought to rid itself of Spanish rule.  

Fortunately, I have not turned my back on my Mexican heritage with its varied intricacies. It is the land of some of my forebears and has made a mark on who I am today, but some of the holidays are lost on me. Not because I have forgotten them, but maybe because I do not necessarily care to remember them and what they stood for.

No comments: