Monday, April 21, 2008

I'm your Huckleberry- Tombstone, a movie favorite

One of the better contemporary Western movies, if you ask folks, is 1993's Tombstone. This fairly unassuming flick with several well-known actors was a movie that still carries weight more than 15 years after its release. There are several aspects of the movie that I find intriguing but what I love about it is Val Kilmer's portrayal of Doc Holliday and the romantic undertone of Wyatt Earp's life story.

The constant stream of Doc Holliday one-liners gives one a stockpile of memorable utterances that to me are some of the best. Pick any line Holliday says, whether its his exchanges with Johnny Ringo,"I'm your huckleberry" or when he reunites with Wyatt Earp on the streets with of Tombstone and says to Billy Bob Thorton's Johnny Tyler, "I'm sorry Johnny, I forgot that you were there." Of course he says all this with the smooth lilt of the American South. And ya gotta dig that mustache. I wish mine looked as good as his.

The underlying romantic story between Earp and actress Josephine Marcus ties the movie together. Wyatt Earp first meets Marcus while he's married, but after ridding the Arizona countryside of the villainous Cowboys and after a timely death of his wife due to a drug overdose, Earp is finally reunited with Josephine.

It's a great flick with plenty of intrigue and fast paced action and with brief cameos of Charlton Heston and with an epilogue read by Robert Mitchum to give it the movie some clout, Tombstone is a wonderful movie to enjoy.

No comments: