Thursday, June 05, 2008

Best Guitar Solos

Here's something that's been sitting in my mind's blog files for a while now and having just read a somewhat similar article in Yahoo!'s List of the Day, I thought I'd put in my two-cents about this. Yahoo! had an blurb listing their greatest 25 guitar riffs of all time. It was pretty good actually, but I have a different take on the guitar thing.

These are solos that not only consist of memorable guitar runs but may also provoke one to play the ever popular air guitar. Here are my favorite guitar solos in rock music, in no particular order:

Hotel California, The Eagles
Don Henley and crew create one Rock music's enduring songs. If I'm not mistaken, the guitar solo is played by more than one person. The acoustic version on the Hell Freezes Over video of this particular song rocks even without the help of electric guitars.

Will We Rock You, Queen
Talk about rocking hard, it's the quintessential rock anthem. I love how the guitar solo slowly crescendos almost from nothing and then hammers onto the scene with the force of a tornado through a trailer park. If you want to get technical, you can get a two-fer with this song, if you include We are the Champions as both are usually played back to back. More bang for your musical buck.

Rock Around the Clock, Bill Halley and His Comets
Maybe this is how rock and roll guitar solos started. That's some mighty fine guitar work here! It's an all-time great.

Like a Stone, Audioslave
We'll see if this becomes a classic but goosebumps usually accompany me when I listen to this one, especially at the solo.

Pride and Joy, Stevie Ray Vaughan
What's a guitar list without one of the gods of the guitar. Check this one out and you'll know what I mean.

What Would You Say, Dave Matthews Band
It's more than just a guitar solo-- the sax leads off and then concludes with a goosebump inducing harmonica riff.

When It's Love, Van Halen
The video for this song has a funny moment especially at the guitar solo. Eddie Van Halen plays the first chord, pauses, scratches his head and then proceeds with the rest of the solo.

Dust in the Wind, Kansas
Though not a guitar solo per se, but the string solo is quite memorable and accompanies great acoustic guitar work throughout the song.

If I come up with a few more, I'll be sure to add them to my list.

No comments: