Monday, June 04, 2007

The Act You've Known for All These Years

Forty years ago, last Friday, June 1st, The Beatles released Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. It is the quintessential concept album, music-wise and, of course, album cover-wise. While the rest of the pop music world tried to play catch-up, the Fab-Four cranked out sounds that were, you know, unheard of at that time.

I had always considered Sgt. Pepper's as my all-time favorite Beatles album, but as my musical tastes have matured over the years, I've leaned towards Revolver as the better album. BUT- my favorite song is from still from Sgt. Pepper's, A Day in the Life. Now if Strawberry Fields Forever was on Sgt. Pepper's to begin with, there would be no question what the best Beatles album would be. You know, it's always surprised me that SFF was not added to Sgt. Pepper's because it was recorded at the same recording sessions, and it even sounds like it belongs to Sgt. Pepper's!

Nevertheless, The Beatles were always ahead of their time. They were only together for several years, yet their musical legacy is still felt today and will be for decades to come.

No comments: