Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Jewel of Arlington... Automotively Speaking

Plenty of pretty people, with their equally pretty money will be in Arlington, Texas on February 6th to see the Super Bowl in the NFL's glitziest stage. However, there is a place within walking distance of Cowboys Stadium that has its share of pretty things. Very pretty things indeed. Within the shadow of JerryWorld, lies a rather understated building full of overstated pieces of American automotive ingenuity and power. Berry Motor Cars on Division Street, is a place where the dreams of car enthusiasts and gearheads can come to fruition.

Back in October of 2010, my parents came for a visit, and like most of their visits to North Texas during baseball season, we took in a Texas Rangers game. Knowing that my dad was going to be in Arlington, my uncle asked him to swing by Berry Motor Cars to order a part for a 1968 Camaro that he is restoring. I thought that we left for Arlington with enough time, unfortunatley we got to BMC just after closing. I was a little disappointed knowing what laid inside- the opportunity to help my uncle with his project, but I also wanted to show my daughter all the awesome classic cars parked inside the showroom.

Well, as luck would have it, I spent enough time peering in through the front doors that I got the attention of the owner who came to ask if I needed help. I told him that my parents had come in from South Texas and that may dad had hoped to order a part before the game. The gentleman said that he had stayed around the shop afterwards to work on a few things and that we could help us. So as my dad spoke to Mr. Berry about the needed part, I was able to show my daughter around the showroom: fully restored Chevelles, Camaros, and a couple of Corvettes, intermingled with a few Plymouths and Mustangs. I couldn't help but shake my head in amazement at all these beautiful cars and how much one would set me back. Let's just say that I could get a fully restored 1967 Camaro for the same price as a brand new 2010 model!

Being able to see those cars and share the moment with my daughter made that weekend even more memorable. Thankfully, she's following the footsteps my dad and uncle laid out for us in appreciating the beauty of these classic machines. My thanks again to Mr. Berry and his hospitality for helping us that day. I hope that the glare that surrounds the Super Bowl shines some of its dollar-signed goodness towards Mr. Berry and his company.

No comments: