Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Putting the X back in Christmas

I think the use of text messages has apparently brought back the use of "Xmas" in place of Christmas. I know I used it quite often when I wrote to loved ones over the holidays. I've never understood why this written form of Christmas was frowned upon, but it works for me because it does not diminish my love Christ Himself. Folks have said that using this alternative spelling literally "takes Christ out of Christmas" but that's only to voice their concern about the commercialization of Christmas. I can see that aspect of it and it's too bad that their more ignorant compatriots have hijacked this notions for their own gains.

I've seen the use of X in old Spanish documents to spell out a person's name, namely the Spanish equilvalent of Christopher, ie: Xtobal. If folks really pay attention and do their homework, they'll see that the origin of "Xmas" has Greek origins, especially with the Greek letter X, Chi, having stood for Christ for almost two milenia now.

Look it up and you'll find that "Xmas" has a fascinating story that does not come from some commercializing atheist, but from early Christians and how they honored the Son of God through symbols from an ancient language.

No comments: