Sunday, March 23, 2008

War's 5th Anniversary

The fifth anniversary of George W. Bush's war in Iraq came and went just recently. He's still saying that "removing Saddam Hussein" was the right thing to do. And he continues to say that the current war is "a fight that America can and must win." Well, yeah...duh. First of all, he still thinks that Saddam and all his weapons of mass destruction were behind the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, the United States has to win this war in Iraq. So Bush saying that the Iraq war is a must win is an understatement. The United States' status in the world depends on how we win the war, or better yet, how get out of this mess that the Bush administration has created.

But seriously, what would be considered a win in Iraq? A photo op aboard a US warship? Oh wait, that's already been done. I don't know about you, but not only do I not see an "end" to this war anytime soon, but unless we just turn our backs on the Iraqis, a protracted US occupation is inevitable. I've always been against this particular theatre of the "war on terror," but if we just pull up stakes and leave without some sort of safeguards for the Iraqi people, this region will be another ethnic tinderbox. Yugoslavia, anyone?

I'd also like to comment on something I saw a couple weeks ago related to this fifth anniversary. While out on a lunch break, I drove up to an intersection were two different rallies were occurring simultaneously. On one side of the road, a group of peace activists rallied against the war in Iraq by holding up signs and flags with peace signs, in other words a group of modern day hippies. Conversely, the other group of people was composed of biker types that held signs supporting the troops, and with American flags placed all over: in waving hands and poles staked in the ground.

Although I consider myself against the Iraqi war, I also am a proud supporter of our troops. So as I pulled up to that intersection I felt the pull from each group. But what struck me more than anything, and what really turned me off, was the lack of American flags on the side of the peace activists. My thing is that if you live in this great country, regardless of how you feel about who's running the government, you better damn well respect the freedoms we have and be proud (blessed, lucky...) that we can readily voice our opinions (within the law) about the government without repercussions. Dissent is as American as apple pie and baseball. So what these peace folks told me with their lack of American flags was that they've turned their back on this country and for that I feel sorry for them. Because they like President Bush, still don't get it.


Source: G.W. Bush quotes: New York Times, March 20.

No comments: