Saturday, August 18, 2007

The Bard in Love

I saw Shakespeare in Love the other day for the first time in several years. Actually, the last time I saw this movie was during its initial theatrical release and at that time, it didn't strike me as a bonafide Oscar winner. Sure it was a good movie, with a wonderful premise and equally impressive performances by Gwyneth Paltrow, Joseph Fiennes & Geoffrey Rush, but Academy Award winning material? No. Perhaps Oscar voters were too turned off by Saving Private Ryan's intense realism to give that epic the Best Picture nod.

Anyhow, several years later, I found this Shakespeare movie much more inviting and real. This probably stems from having matured enough to understand and feel the true emotion associated with it. The passage in the film where Shakespeare wrote the sonnet with probably the most famous first line in literature, "Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?" hit me like lightning bolt. Wow, I knew exactly what he meant and in the movie's context, I grasped the sheer intensity of the sonnet's intention.

Chalk it up to maturity or in my case, life experience, but my eyes to a better extent now see the greatness of this film. I can relate on some levels to the gamut of emotions encountered by Shakespeare that was translated onto the silver screen by this 1998 film. My personal experiences since 1998 have let me appreciate this fictionalized tale of William Shakespeare's life.

(But I still say Saving Private Ryan should have won that year's Best Picture Oscar!)

No comments: