Tuesday, January 23, 2007

At last, good riddance

The news of Bill Parcells' retirement has Dallas Cowboys' fans breathing a collective sigh of relief. Jerry Jones brought him to town with the hope of restoring the team to greatness, but after mediocre four seasons, Cowboys' fans are bidding him a welcomed bon voyage.

I'll be honest, I have never liked him. I thought him to be overrated. He hasn't won a Super Bowl since his New York Giants days and I think it's because all his talented assistants were no longer with him. He had a terrific run with great assistants there in the late 1980s and early 1990s when his staff included the likes of current New England Patriots head coach and 3-time Super Bowl winner, Bill Belichick. I've been known to say that his assistants won him those two titles because he apparently can't win without them.

Could Parcells' meager 34-32 record over a 4 year span be traced to a lack of talented assistants? Or could it be attributed to other things? There were times during these past few years, where Bill looked tired and frustrated. I guess I can relate since I've gotten more irritable and frustrated as I've gotten older, but that shouldn't make or break the season of a fairly talented team, especially this year. I 've continued to say that the 'Boys did so well this season, in spite of Parcells shortcomings, because of Tony Romo's inspired play.

As much as I am happy to see Parcells leave, I was a little disappointed to have him leave so soon. My reasoning is that I would love to have seen Jerry Jones, finally make a great football decision, by hiring a real NFL coach. In that I mean, hiring longtime Steelers coach, Bill Cowher. If Parcells had stayed one more season, that would've given Cowher at least one "retired" season away from football, and then the 'Boys would be primed to hand the reigns over to Cowher.

The team could hire former offensive coordinator Norv Turner as "interim" head coach, and when Cowher's ready to come out of "retirement", Turner could become the new offensive coordinator. Who knows, Jones might make Cowher an offer he can't refuse.

This probably won't happen, but you never know. Can't a fan dream?!

No comments: