Saturday, October 03, 2015

To divertirse or not, part II

We planned a Saturday evening out to divertirnos, to have fun, or better yet, to divert our minds from the daily grind and for what lays ahead for my wife's mother, when we got a call from my sister in law worrying about the deteriorating state of my mother in law's health-- she, the subject of my previous blog post. I offered to cancel our plans but my wife said in so many words that we needed this night out. We needed this diversion.

Good thing too, as I also did not want to think about that gut punch of 11-10 loss the Rangers suffered at the hands of the Angels earlier that evening. This loss in my opinion was the second worse loss in franchise history, second only to their infamous game six loss in the 2011 World Series. Thankfully they shook off that loss and claimed the AL West title Sunday afternoon.

Any sports game loss pales in comparison to the thought of my wife losing her mother to cancer. And for the first time since we heard this news, I had a couple moments Saturday afternoon where this possibility overtook the hope I have for her recovery.

We did go out Saturday evening as planned, but the dark cloud of doubt and uncertainty joined us at the restaurant and even at the wine bar. So as much as we tried to divert our thoughts away from this, everything landed back onto the thought at my wife losing her mother. And that in of itself will have few, if any, diversions worthy of the situation.

No comments: