Sunday, December 22, 2013

Giving more at LabCorp

I always feel a bit of trepidation when I go get blood work done at LabCorp. No, I do not have a fear of needles- I have been donating blood through blood drives since I was seventeen, but it has more to do with what they could find in the analysis. Ever since I got diagnosed with thyroid cancer almost three years ago, I cannot help but help feel somewhat leery each time I get this procedure done. So this time was no different except for what happened at the end. 

The LabCorp I visit is usually manned by two very likeable and personable techs (tech1 & tech2). I am always greeted with a smile and a polite hello, with tech1 checking me in and tech2 doing the actual blood draw. Though on this visit, they were joined by another tech, tech3.

As I walked in the techs 1 & 2 were talking how they could not get tech3's attention earlier that shift as she had headphones in and music turned up. Of course I didn't think much of it but this forebode what would come soon after.

Tech3 was nice, I made small talk, asking if she was done with her Christmas shopping, etc. She then says that she doesn't celebrate Christmas anymore because her best friend was killed in a domestic abuse incident a few years ago by her husband who in turn killed himself. 

My blood draw was not the best, I felt the pain and slight discomfort of the needle, but it was no biggie. So I got up, wished everyone a Merry Christmas, and left. As I got to my car, I felt a cool, wetness down my left forearm, near the puncture, and sure enough, I had bled through the gauze.

Like I said before, I am no rookie to this sort of thing having donated blood for years and then getting bloodwork done these past few years. So I went back inside where tech1 saw me and brought me back to re-gauze and clean me up without blinking an eye. 

Tech3 looked up nonchalantly from her phone texting conversation with a "Hey, you couldn't get enough of us or what?" She showed no  compassion towards my situation. 

Now, it could have been me who squeezed my hand too hard through the blood draw causing 
me too bleed too much, but tech3 did not have a care in the world when the last person she saw came back in with a bloody gauze. 

Perhaps it was my bringing up of a painful chapter in her life that distracted her from her task, but I was taken aback by her inaction and non-reaction to what had occurred.

I will definitely think twice of going back to that LabCorp when I am due for bloodwork.

No comments: