Sunday, April 15, 2012

A couple quick hits

  • Looks the economic outlook is getting worse in Europe with Spain in the middle of the turmoil. Paul Krugman believes the Spanish problem is not necessarily a home-grown issue but one that came from bad bank loans from German banks. It's amazing to see how much influence banks have over countries, and invariably, people.
  • It's amazing what back-to-back World Series appearances does to a fan base. Never have I and my family and friends kept up with the Texas Rangers with so much vigor so early in the season. I caught myself cheering out loud to an inning-ending double-play in the Rangers' 4-3 win over Minnesota this afternoon: fist pump and everything! Not only that, I've exchanged several Rangers-related text messages during almost every game so far this season at almost the same pace as last season's postseason. One of my best friends, a fellow long-time Rangers fan, has said that he usually doesn't get excited about the season until around the All-Star break but has found himself intently following them so early. For me, following Jamey Newberg's analysis has kept my Rangers interest locked-in from the post-World Series disappointment through to the start of the season.

No comments: