Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Hook 'Em! Fiesta Bowl 2009


I've been saying it all day to my coworkers, especially to the lone Ohio State fan amongst us, that the Texas Longhorns let Ohio State score their last touchdown on purpose. Yep, I think the Texas defense let the OSU running back score untouched so that Colt McCoy and the offense would have enough time to go down the field and have a chance of scoring the winning touchdown.

Ohio State was driving towards a winning score with under 4 minutes to play down by two points. If I were OSU coach Jim Tressel, I would run off as much of the game clock as I could and go for the game winning kick with only seconds remaining. Well, that's what I was thinking he would do as OSU crept closer to the goal line. But then all of a sudden, there's a quick touchdown run up the left side of the offense!

I may have not been the only one to notice that the OSU running back went in for the touchdown almost untouched to make it 21-17, pending the 2 point conversion. The color commentator for Fox's broadcast said that the runner went in "easy, too easy."

Perhaps the UT coaching staff thought it would be best to let Ohio State score so as to leave ample time for McCoy and his offense to stage another 4th quarter comeback. Who knows...

No comments: