Saturday, June 07, 2008

New Poem

I wrote this a while back and thought I'd share it.

The -line
-----------
You weren’t my first choice,
and probably not my last either.
Yet here you are.

I would’ve never thought you my type:
you tend to be moody and only come
around when it suits you,
rarely acquiescing to me.

But don’t get me wrong,
I’m glad when you decide to play,
although it’s usually when I’m busy
doing other things.

And even then, having been turned off
by your indifference,
I really don’t care for whatever
warmth you care to share.

Most of the time you lay
around waiting for bedtime.
I hope you’d change your ways,
as your fickleness hurts more than me.

Other times I’d like to be with my friends
but there’s a “you versus them” thing
that doesn’t allow that to happen.
I’m a revolving door of over used excuses.

There could’ve been another
if I’d been more patient and vocal-
and believe me,
I could’ve had another.

I’ve left the door open for you to walk out,
and I know you’ve thought about it,
yet you haven’t,
regardless of how bad I’ve treated you.

Nevertheless, I’ve chosen to stay with you,
mess and all, no matter
how wrong you may be for me on many levels.
Sure we can work this out, but only if I want it.

Who knows how long you’ll stay-
perhaps when I’ve gotten tired of your antics
or tired of looking the other way for so long.

You weren’t my first choice and
I wasn’t asked if it was okay to keep you around.
Yet here you are:

The subject of someone’s pity.
Someone’s pet.
The one who usually doesn’t wait up for me-

The fe- line:
our cat.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
f j de g y l
10 III 2008

No comments: