Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Im-Perfect Season

The Perfect NFL Season lies somewhere out there in the mythical ether. A place where only the memories of the 1972 Miami Dolphins team reside. Having been born a year after that magical run, I have no point of reference in which to compare that team's season with any I have seen in my lifetime. There have been a couple close calls, namely the 1986 Chicago Bears, and most recently, the New England Patriots team that went into last Sunday's Super Bowl LXII 18-0.

Perhaps we'll see a perfect season in our lifetime. It could even be New England who'll do it next year. They've got the best chance to do it, as long as they avoid all bad karmic situations such as this season's Spygate incident. I swear, as bad karma goes, that was as bad as it could get. And I for one am glad that they didn't win the Super Bowl and go 19-0. This team had no business stooping down to that level and cheat lke they did. I've liked the Pats in the past and how they've won championships with a bunch of no-name players, but after having been caught breaking some NFL Rules, I've lost respect for them.

And in no way am I discounting the play of the New York Giants. Are you kidding? I'm a huge Dallas Cowboys fan, but I appreciate how the Giants played Sunday and my hoarse voice postgame was indicative of how much cheering I did for New York. That was some of the best defense play I have ever seen. I think that Justin Tuck and Michael Strahan were as worthy to receive the game's MVP honors as Eli Manning. Though that sack escape and pass to David Tyree on the game winning drive was great enough for him to win all in itself. Speaking of which, who's seen a better play in Super Bowl history?

Yes, I am sorry that history was not made last Sunday evening, because that's one of a plethora of reasons why I watch sports, but the team which wanted it more won and that's what it's all about in the end.

No comments: