Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Musical recollections

I love music in most of its forms, hence why I've always said that listening to music is one of my favorite things to do. I've had the chance to check out some fantastic classical related cds lately, especially those that included songs that I had the pleasure to play when I was in high school.

One cd that I checked out from my local public library a couple months ago, included a song called Folk Dances by Dmitri Shostakovich. It's a lively piece that is compromised of several ethnic "folk dances" akin to the cultures of Russia. It had a lot of, what out director called, "noodles," lengthy run of notes usually done in complicated rhythms. I have many fond memories playing this song with my classmates, especially the times we spent practicing the song for competition.

Another song that I appreciated from the get-go, because I played it early on in my musical career, was Theme from Marche Slave an arrangement of Tchaikovsky's Marche Slave. Playing these selections throughout my musical career influenced my tastes as I enjoy Russian themed music to this day.

American Civil War Fantasy by Jerry Bilik also brings back great memories of playing music. On the way to work this morning, I listened to a cd that included this selection. It was the first time in days that I listened to something other than John Mayer's Heavier Things, which is a great album, by the way. Bilik's ACWF is also one of those montage inspired songs, among which includes these Civil War era favorites: Dixie, Listen to the Mockingbird, Maryland My Maryland, Rally Round the Flag, When Johnny Comes Marching Home, The Yellow Rose of Texas, Just Before the Battle Mother, and a soaring finale made quite memorable with The Battle Hymn of the Republic. Now talk about a moving piece of music.

No comments: